This dinner idea comes together so easily and each family member can customize with their own toppings. Definitely a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 cup rice or quinoa, rinsed well with cold water
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey
- ½ small jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Shredded carrots
- Chopped tomatoes or sliced cherry tomatoes
- Chopped cucumber
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced red, yellow, orange or green peppers
- Corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Assorted beans
- Cubes of tofu
- Sliced green onion
Prep and Cook
- 1To make the grains, combine the rice or quinoa with the stock or water in a medium saucepan and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the grains with a fork.
- 2To make the dressing, combine the ingredients in a small food processor or blender and puree until everything comes together. Check seasonings and adjust if required.
- 3To assemble, pile the grains in the bottom of the bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Stir well. Add desired toppings and serve.