Makes 8 burgers
- 2 lbs. lean ground sirloin
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 shallot
- 8 hamburger buns
- Assorted condiments: lettuce, pickles, cheese, tomato, mustard, and onion
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet (or two, if necessary) with parchment paper.
- 2Divide the sirloin into 8 equal portions and shape into balls. Tear each ball into two pieces. Shape one into a round, flat disc and set in on the parchment paper and divide the other into five small pieces—one for each finger and the thumb.
- 3Roll these pieces into thin logs and insert them into the hand where the fingers and thumb would go. Work with the meat and shape it until you're happy with the look of the hand.
- 4Season the meat hands with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and slather the tops with ketchup. Turn the oven to broil and pop the hands back in for 1–2 minutes, or until the hands are a little crispy and the ketchup is thick and gooey.
- 5While the burgers are cooking slice the shallot into fingernail-like triangular shapes and press them onto the fingers when the burgers are removed from the oven. Serve on the buns with any of the desired condiments.