Makes a few dozen, depending on the size of the cookie cutter.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. molasses or honey
- ¼ cup cold water
- Silver dragees or pearl candy
Prep and Cook
- 1In a food processor, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Add the chilled butter and pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2Add the molasses and water and mix until the dough combines and forms a ball in the bowl of the food processor. Remove the dough and shape it into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- 4Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface or piece of parchment paper to a ¼-inch thickness. Cut into bats and owls using cooking cutters.
- 5Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least half an inch apart. Press the silver dragees into the cookie dough for the animals eyes, and bake for 11-13 minutes, or until soft but firm in the centre of the biscuit.
- 6Cool and serve. Store, covered, on the counter for up to 1 week.