This mild-tasting curry is an excellent gateway recipe to introducing bolder spices to your children. The meal is also vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free making it a winning option when entertaining a crowd.
Serves 4 to 6
This post is brought to you by Hunt’s Heirloom Tomatoes but the images and opinions are our own.
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated or pressed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (398 mL) can Hunt’s Heirloom Crushed or Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Brown rice (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Chopped tomato (optional)
- Plain yogurt (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.
- 2Return the pot to the stove and warm oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
- 3Stir in curry powder, cinnamon, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. The pan will seem dry, but that’s okay. At this point you are toasting the spices with the aromatics. Add in Hunt’s Heirloom Tomatoes, coconut milk, butter and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the potatoes, stir and cook until heated through, another minute or so. Serve at once.
- 4Tip: This dish lacks colour so I like to garnish it fresh cilantro and tomato. If using crushed tomatoes, scatter fresh chopped tomatoes over top of the dish. If using diced tomatoes, reserve a tablespoon or two of the tomato pieces and sprinkle them over the curry once it’s cooked.
Similar Related Posts:
A Perfect Kid-Approved Snack Recipe: Garlic Pretzel Knots
We love a delicious bread recipe, especially one that comes in snack size for little hands.
15 Meal Ideas for Toddlers (And the Whole Family, Too)
There is nothing cuter, or pickier, than a toddler. To ease your mealtime pain, we have a wide array of terrific meal ideas for toddlers to choose from!