Dreaming of Starbucks Blueberry Scones? Make Your Own!
These lemon and wild blueberry scones are perfect for a lazy weekend morning, yet posh enough for afternoon tea with the ladies. You’ll want to savour every flakey, buttery crumb! Serve warm with butter and jam.
makes 8 scones
Lemon & Wild Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp buttermilk, for brushing tops
- ¼ cup demerara sugar, for sprinkling
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 425 F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
Stir with a fork and set aside.
- 2Add butter and, using fingertips or a pastry blender, blend into dry ingredients until mixture resembles a coarse cornmeal, with a few smaller and larger chunks.
- 3Pour in buttermilk and mix with a fork until ingredients are just moistened.
Stir in blueberries.
Turn out onto a large piece of parchment paper and gather together with your hands to form a dough (at this point your dough should be very loose).
Using the parchment paper (this will keep your hands clean) gently fold dough over itself a few times (this will help create 'layers' in your dough to create the flakiness you want) until it comes together and forms a dough.
Flatten out slightly (dough should be about 3-inches thick) into a circular shape.
Cut into 6-8 wedges.
Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle each with demerara sugar.
- 4Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until bottoms are golden and scones are cooked through.
Tagged under: scones,scone recipe,blueberry scones,scones recipe,blueberry scone