Are you looking for a fried chicken recipe that’s crunchy and delicious and somewhat healthy? This ‘non-fried’ fried chicken recipe is oven-baked and uses pretzels to create its tasty (and healthier) crispiness.
This recipe uses drumsticks but can be modified to use any chicken pieces or strips to create chicken fingers. They’re perfect for dinner or as appetizers or snacks for casual entertaining and picnics.
Oven-Baked Pretzel Fried Chicken Recipe:
- 10–12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6–8 grinds of fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp hot sauce (or more if you like)
- 1 package pretzels, smashed into crumbs
Prep and Cook
- 1Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry.
- 2Combine the yogurt, salt, pepper, and mustard in a bowl. Add hot sauce if desired.
Add the chicken and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
While the chicken is resting, remove all of the pretzels from the packaging, place them in a large resealable bag, and pound with a rolling pin until rough crumbs remain.
- 4Roll the chicken into the crushed pretzels and coat well on all sides.
Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- 5Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through and pretzels turn golden.
Serve warm or at room temperature.