Deep, dark, and ultra-decadent, these warm molten chocolate lava cakes are the perfect treat for any chocolate-lover. Lucky for us, there is an occasion on the horizon that gives an excuse to pull up our sleeves and get baking (we’re looking at you Valentine’s Day).
To make these even more spectacular, we bake them in individual ramekins and sprinkle with coarse sugar, but a buttered muffin tin and some granulated sugar will do the trick in a pinch too.
Our number one tip? Do NOT overbake these babies, or you will lose that ooey gooey warm chocolaty center. Serve warm with BIG scoops of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate indulgent dessert.
Makes 6 to 8 Mini Cakes
Warm Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 8oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Lightly butter 6 individual sized ramekins and set aside.
- 2In a large heavy pot over low heat, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat just before mixture is completely melted and continue to stir until completely melted.
Set aside to let cool slightly.
- 3In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and egg yolks until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
Pour in reserved chocolate mixture.
Continue to beat together for 5 minutes (this will get quite thick).
- 4In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form, about three minutes.
Fold into chocolate mixture.
Stir together flour and cinnamon with a fork then fold into chocolate mixture.
Spoon batter into prepared ramekins, filling each about 3/4 full.
Sprinkle tops with coarse sugar. Place ramekins onto a large baking sheet.
- 5Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are just cooked and centre is still liquidy.
Remove to a rack to cool slightly.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.