If you haven’t heard of heirloom carrots yet, it’s time to hop on the bandwagon. Heirloom carrots, much like heirloom tomatoes, are varieties that have valued characteristics and that have been passed down through several generations. Many heirloom vegetables have been gaining in popularity in recent years, not only because of their beautiful and unique appearance, but because their dense flesh and full delicious flavor, bears no comparison to modern cultivars.
With colours ranging from orange to yellow, green and even purple, one thing is for certain: A baking sheet filled with these multi-hued roasted carrots will make for a show-stopper at any meal. We’ve drizzled ours with pure maple syrup and tossed them with sea salt and fresh thyme leaves for a perfect side dish for chicken, steak and even turkey!
Serves 4 to 6
Maple and Thyme Roasted Heirloom Carrots
- 3 to 4 bunches heirloom carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 to 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt and cracked black pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 425 F.
Line 1 or 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Trim tops and ends of carrots then scrub well to remove grit.
Peel and rinse under cool water to remove any remaining grit.
Pat very dry with clean paper towels.
Slice carrots lengthwise in halves or quarters depending on their size.
- 2Spread carrots across your baking sheets (use two if you need to).
The carrots should be spread in an even layer with some room around each.
Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup and toss with your hands to coat.
Then sprinkle with your freshly chopped thyme leaves, sea salt, pepper.
- 3Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until carrots are tender and caramelized.
- 4Tip: These carrots are simply delicious served alongside any roasted meat including beef, pork, chicken, or turkey!
Tagged under: carrot recipes,heirloom carrots,carrots