- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½–1¾ cup buttermilk
Prep and Cook
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir. Form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add 1½ cups of the buttermilk. Combine the ingredients using the end of a wooden spoon or your hands. If the mixture is too dry, add the remaining ¼ cup of the buttermilk. If it’s not, omit it completely.
- When the dough starts to come together, turn it out onto the counter and knead it for about 10 seconds or until it’s soft. Shape it into a ball, about 1½” thick and place it one the prepared baking sheet. Slice a cross into the top of the bread and bake for 30–40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the centre is cooked through.
- To make sweet bread, add ⅔ cup chocolate chips or raisings to the dough.
- To make it savoury, add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese and 1 Tbsp dried herbs to the dough.
- To make individual breads, cut the dough into 6 triangular pieces (like a pie) once it’s been shaped into a ball. Reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.