We don’t always want to hide the veggies in our Toddler recipes but this one is just so easy…and so cheesy.
- ½ lb (2 cups) short whole wheat pasta (choose your favourite shape)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lb (250 g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup butternut or acorn squash, chopped finely and cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente.
- 3Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold water and return to the pot.
- 4Melt butter in a saucepan.
- 5Mix in flour and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 6Pour in milk, ½ cup at a time, whisking constantly.
- 7Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and then continue to stir until sauce is thick and creamy.
- 8Remove pot from the heat and add sour cream, shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- 9Combine pasta, squash and sauce, stirring to coat (or until squash is well hidden).
- 10Use pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- 11Pour pasta into a 9” x 9” buttered casserole dish.
- 12Bake covered (with tin foil or lid) at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 13Remove foil (or lid) and cook for another 10 minutes or until top is crispy and browned.
Category: No Category