Adapted from Real Simple
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 3 cans (540 ml each) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 sprigs thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs or panko
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Prep and Cook
- 1In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the sausage until well browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- 2Add the onion, carrots and parsnips to the pot and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato, chicken broth, beans, thyme and sausage meat to the pot and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom. Season well with salt and pepper.
- 3Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour, until thickened and the vegetables are tender.
- 4Heat oven to 400° F. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt and the olive oil. Sprinkle evenly over the cassoulet and place in the oven. Bake, uncovered, until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Category: No Category