- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked orzo
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
Prep and Cook
- 1Warm the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium heat and sauté the bacon for 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Add the leek and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft.
- 2Season with sage, oregano, and rosemary, and cook for 2 minutes or until the herbs are fragrant. Add the potato, carrots, and squash, and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden in colour.
- 3Add the broth and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and, using a hand/immersion blender, pulse the soup three or four times to slightly thicken it. Stir in the cooked chicken and baby spinach and bring to a simmer.
- 4Place a spoonful or two of orzo in each bowl (or thermos) and ladle the hot soup over the top. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.