While muffins and cookies are easy to make, and definitely a default when it comes to cooking with little ones, these biscuits are even easier to assemble because they don’t require the use of any small appliances or specialty equipment.
They come together with basic ingredients you likely have on hand, making the recipe do-able without an extra trip to the grocery store.
These biscuits also freeze beautifully; don’t hesitate to double the recipe (it works well) and tuck away the extras for another day. If you happen to be serving soup for supper at any point during the week, they also make a great addition to your dinner.
My own kids like to slice them down the middle and stuff them with ham or leftover chicken, and even a fried egg for a homemade breakfast sandwich.
Adapted from dairygoodness.ca
Easy Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated or cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or fleur de sel
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ teaspoon dill weed (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s crumbly. Stir in the cheese and green onions.
- 3Slowly add the milk, stirring with a fork, until the dough is soft. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it 3-4 times until it holds together.
- 4Roll the dough out to a ¾” thickness and cut into 12 squares. Place on prepared baking sheet, at least 2” apart, and brush the tops with the melted butter. Sprinkle the dill weed over the biscuits and bake for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Biscuits are best when served warm.
Similar Related Posts:
- August 19, 2018
Seasonal Baking: Banana Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
My husband and I met over blueberry muffins. Banana, blueberry, chocolate chip muffins to be exact, which means I always have a soft spot in my heart for baking with fresh blueberries at this time of year.