- 1 3½–4 lb whole chicken, washed and dried
- 2 Tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix the butter together with the garlic powder and smoked paprika, and set aside.
- 2Gently separate the skin from the breast by inserting your fingers between the skin and breast and loosening the attachment. Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper and rub the butter all over the chicken including the legs, back, wings and breast.
- 3Tuck the wings underneath the bird and tie with a piece of kitchen twine, if desired. Tie the legs together with a second piece of twine and place the chicken on its side in a large cast-iron skillet. Roast for 25 minutes.
- 4Turn it over to its other side and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of water. Return the chicken to the oven and roast for an additional 25 minutes. Turn it on its back and roast for 10 minutes. Turn it on its breast and roast for a final 10 minutes.
- 5Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a cutting board, breast-side up. Let rest for 10–15 minutes before serving.