Meat loaf and mashed potatoes never looked so cute or so spooky! Using muffin tin instead of a loaf pan, these mini meatloaves make a great pre-Halloween meal (if you’ve got the time) or if it’s unlikely you’ll be doing much other than ordering pizza another easy Halloween dinner prior to trick or treating, you can incorporate it into the buildup to the big night.
And while these little mummies are a great addition to our Savvy Guide to Halloween, muffin pan meatloaves with mashed potatoes are a great call for any fall or winter dinner.
Makes 12 meatloaf muffins
Recipe: Mini Mummy Meatloaves
- ¾ lbs. Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup grated sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp light cream
- 2 cups frozen peas
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- 2Place the potatoes in a pot, cover by 1-inch with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until a fork can easily pierce the potato pieces, about 8-10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the egg, garlic, onion, barbecue sauce, Dijon, and salt.
Add the panko and ground beef and mix just until incorporated.
- 4Divide the meat mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.
- 5Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the butter and cream and mash until very smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato to a pastry bag fitted with a ribbon tip (Wilton #104).
- 6Heat the peas and place them on a platter. Transfer the meatloaves and set them on top of the peas. Pipe the potatoes back and forth over each muffin to resemble a mummy’s bandages.
Scoop up a few peas from the platter and place them on as eyes.
Tagged under: halloween dinners,halloween dinner,meatloaf,halloween recipe,halloween meatloaf,meatloaf muffins