- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup oat bran
- 2 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 5 Tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp grated orange or clementine zest
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup cold heavy cream (35%)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until you are left with pieces no bigger than peas.
- 3Stir in the orange zest and dried cranberries. Whisk together the eggs, cream and molasses in small bowl.
- 4Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until the dough begins to come together. If the dough is too dry, add a little cream until clumps of dough start to form.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead it gently until it comes together. Divide it into two equal pieces and shape each into a 6” circle. Using a sharp knife cut each round into 6 equal pieces.
- 6Arrange the scones on the prepared baking sheet spacing them 2” apart. Brush the tops with cream, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- 7Cool the scones on the baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool further, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To reheat scones, arrange them on a baking sheet and heat in a 300-degree oven for 5 minutes.
Similar Related Posts:
- August 19, 2018
Seasonal Baking: Banana Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
My husband and I met over blueberry muffins. Banana, blueberry, chocolate chip muffins to be exact, which means I always have a soft spot in my heart for baking with fresh blueberries at this time of year.