12 Days of Holiday Cookies: Peppermint Chocolate Candy Cane Bark
Looking for the perfect edible gift this holiday season? We’ve got you covered with this two-tone peppermint chocolate candy cane bark. A cinch to whip up, simply pack pieces into a cellophane bag and tie with some festive twine or ribbon and you’re good to go. We promise this is a gift any chocolate-loving host or hostess will be thrilled to receive!
Makes 1 Slab of Bark
1 lb bittersweet chocolate (at least 60%), chopped
2 tsp pure peppermint extract, divided
1 lb white chocolate, chopped
12 regular sized candy canes, crushed
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring constantly, until just melted. Stir in 1 tsp peppermint extract. Immediately pour into your prepared baking sheet and use a large flat spatula to spread chocolate to the edges (it should be about 1-cm thick). Transfer to the fridge to chill until firm, about an hour.
- Melt white chocolate using the same method as above. Stir in remaining tsp of peppermint extract. Immediately pour onto the chocolate layer and spread to the edges. Sprinkle crushed candy canes all over the top. Use a sheet of parchment paper to gently push them down into chocolate. Transfer to the fridge to chill until firm, about another hour.
- Once bark is completely set, break apart into large chunks. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- TIP: When working with chocolate, it is important to ensure all of your equipment (bowls, pots, spatulas) are very dry as even a drop of water can make chocolate seize and become grainy.