We think you would agree that when it comes to Mother’s Day, one of the best gift ideas for Mom is time away from the kitchen. Make it easy for Dad and the kids to show you how much they love and appreciate you this Mother’s Day by giving them the ideas and the tools they will need to prepare a delicious breakfast for you.
If you feel your family needs some inspiration or the kids are ready to do it all on their own, pick up a copy of Jennifer Low’s Kitchen for Kids: 100 Amazing Recipes Your Children Can Really Make and leave it out on the kitchen counter. Kitchen for Kids is a wonderful cookbook full of recipes your kids can actually make themselves. There is no need to worry about safety, because these recipes require no sharp knives, stove tops, blenders or food processors.
As a friendly reminder, print and post this checklist on the family bulletin board or fridge ASAP. Don’t forget to include the directions to the nearest Tim Hortons, Starbucks or Second Cup in case they need a back-up plan.
Checklist (for Dad and kids):
- Decide on the menu together. (See ideas below or refer to the above book.)
- Make sure you have all of the ingredients and supplies on hand.
- Find something relaxing for Mom to do while you prepare the breakfast (newspaper, magazine, book).
- Try and get everyone involved. From little to big, kids can scramble eggs, wash fruit, add ingredients to the blender, spread the cream cheese, make place cards or thread fruit on skewers.
Presentation is everything, so make Mother’s Day breakfast pretty—a tray (if it’s breakfast in bed), fancy napkins, hand-drawn placecards, flowers…and don’t forget about the clean up after breakfast—CRITICAL step.
Breakfast ideas kids can make (with a little to a lot of help):
- Toaster Waffles with Mixed Berries and Maple Syrup
- Poached or Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Fruit Kebobs
- Hot Cereal with Sliced Almonds and Fresh Blueberries
- Breakfast Smoothie
- Whole Wheat Pancakes with Raspberries
- Breakfast Burritos
- Fruit Cup with Fresh Mint
- Breakfast Yogurt Parfait
- Baked French Toast
- Bagels with Cream Cheese & Smoked Salmon (or Fresh Fruit)
(make this recipe the night before)
Here’s wishing you a wonderful Mother’s Day morning. I would love to hear how your Mother’s Day breakfast turns out.
Category: No Category