Did you know that Health Canada, the Canadian Paediatric Society, Dietitians of Canada and the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada now recommend introducing whole eggs’that’s both yolks and whites’to your baby starting at six months of age? Although it was previously believed that moms and dads should hold off introducing egg whites until babies were 12 months of age, experts now agree that introducing whole eggs at six months of age may actually help lower the chance of your baby developing an egg allergy.
Watch RecipeGeek Editor-in-Chief, Lindsay Evans, make a super easy and healthy egg recipe for babies who are just starting to eat solids.
- 1 large egg
- 1 ripe avocado
Prep and Cook:
- Place your egg in a small pot and cover with cold water. The water should be about an inch or so higher than the egg. Cover the pot with a lid. Over high heat, bring your eggs to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand, 18 minutes for medium sized eggs, 20 minutes for large eggs and 23 minutes for extra large eggs.
- Drain water and immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled. Rapid cooling helps prevent a green ring from forming around the yolks.
- Peel eggs and place in a bowl. Mash well and set aside.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit and scoop out flesh. Place avocado flesh in a bowl and mash well with a fork. Combine egg and avocado together and mash together well until you have your desired consistency.
For more information on the new guidelines and ideas on how to incorporate eggs into your baby’s diet, please click here.