Terrific Taco Salad
I love getting my kids in the kitchen with me whenever I can and taco salad is one dish that I love to have them help me prepare.
For starters, there are so many jobs for this dinner that kids from ages three onwards can easily be assigned something to do. Whether it’s crushing the nacho chips, grating the cheese or rinsing the beans, little hands can help with almost anything in this recipe.
Most kids like the flavour profile of a taco, so even if they’re a little skeptical of eating the salad, they’re more likely to want to eat it if they’re involved in the process of putting it all together (and choosing what goes inside).
What are your favourite meals to cook with your kids?
Terrific Taco Salad Wraps
- 1 lb taco meat (see below for recipe)
* chicken is a good substitute
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup salsa (homemade or jarred)
- 1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4–6 large tortilla wraps
Prep and Cook:
- Have everyone wash his or her hands.
- Ask a child to clean the lettuce by rinsing it under the water. Have them dry it with a paper/dish towel or salad spinner, and set aside.
- Next, have a child place the nacho chips in a large, zip-top bag, and crush them by massaging a rolling pin over the bag until small pieces remain.
- Ask your child to open the container of taco meat, and place it in a microwave-proof bowl. Add the corn and the beans and mix well.
- Warm the meat mixture in the microwave for 2–4 minutes on medium-high, until warmed throughout (an adult job).
- Ask the child to place a few lettuce leaves on each tortilla. Top with the taco meat mixture, and have the child add a scoop of salsa, a sprinkle of cheese and a handful of nacho chips to each plate.
Taco Meat Recipe:
This is an adult job, which can be done in advance.
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsps tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
Prep and Cook:
- Place the beef in a skillet set over medium-high heat and break it up into small chunks with the back of a wooden spoon, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste and water, and stir together, cooking, until the beef is golden brown and fragrant.