Tropical Fruit Parfait
- ½ lb (2 cups) short whole wheat or fun-shaped pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ⅛ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ cup chopped onion
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lb (250 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower (fresh or fresh frozen)
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente.
- 3Drain, rinse thoroughly under cold water and return to pot with a drizzle of olive oil to avoid sticking.
- 4Melt butter in saucepan.
- 5Add onions and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- 6Mix in flour and stir for 3–4 minutes.
- 7Pour in milk, ½ cup at a time, and whisk constantly.
- 8Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and then continue to stir until sauce is thick and creamy.
- 9Remove pot from heat and add sour cream, shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- 10Combine sauce, cauliflower and cooked pasta, stirring to coat.
- 11Pour pasta and sauce into a 9” x 9” buttered casserole dish.
- 12Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over pasta.
- 13Bake covered (with tin foil or lid) for 20 minutes.
- 14Remove foil (or lid) and cook for another 10 minutes or until top is crispy and browned.
Category: No Category