Veggies and Dip
- 1 lb (4 cups) fusilli or other short chunky pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 sausages, any flavour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb (500 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente.
- 3Drain, rinse with very cold water (to stop the cooking process) and return to pot with a drizzle of oil to keep from sticking.
- 4Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat.
- 5Using a sharp knife, slice sausage casing lengthwise, remove meat and add to the skillet.
- 6Break sausage up with a wooden spoon and cook sausage until lightly browned.
- 7Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- 8Melt butter in saucepan.
- 9Add onions and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- 10Mix in flour and stir for 3–4 minutes.
- 11Pour in milk, one cup at a time, and whisk constantly.
- 12Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and then continue to stir until sauce is thick and creamy.
- 13Remove pot from heat and add sour cream, shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- 14Combine sauce and cooked pasta, stirring to coat.
- 15Add cooked sausage and broccoli and stir gently to combine.
- 16Transfer mixture to two 9” x 9” buttered casserole dishes, spreading evenly.
- 17Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and sprinkle mixture over pasta.
- 18Bake covered (with tin foil or lid) for 20 minutes.
- 19Remove foil (or lid) and cook for another 10 minutes or until top is crispy and browned.
Category: No Category