Red Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
- 4 mild Italian sausages
- ⅓ white onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups button or mixed field mushrooms, quartered
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice or white wine
- 2 cups roughly chopped arugula
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 2 packages linguine pasta (fresh or dried)
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook linguine until al dente.
- 3Drain pasta, reserving ¾ cup of pasta water.
- 4Place cherry tomatoes on rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until one or two tomatoes are wrinkling and soft, but not bursting.
- 5While tomatoes are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- 6Using a sharp knife, slice sausages into 1 cm thick rounds.
- 7Cook sausage slices in skillet on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- 8Set aside and reserve juices and brown bits.
- 9Deglaze the pan with 1 Tbsp of white wine or lemon juice to pick up all the brown bits.
- 10In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil and saute onions, garlic and mushrooms on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- 11Add sausages to mushroom mixture while adding pasta water gradually and allowing the sauce to thicken slightly.
- 12Pour mushroom mixture onto drained noodles and stir in the roasted tomatoes, fresh arugula and lemon juice or wine. Mix all ingredients together on high heat for two minutes or until pasta is warmed again.
- 13Serve immediately.
- 14Add salt and pepper and serve with freshly grated parmesan.
Category: No Category