This pairs beautifully with spicy coleslaw.
- Safflower or canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup beer
- 1 ½ lbs. white fish filets (cod, sole, haddock or halibut), cut into 2” strips
- Tortillas, limes, cilantro, spicy coleslaw (recipe below)
Prep and Cook
- 1Fill a large pot with at least 3 inches of oil and heat to 350°.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the flour, chili powder, a pinch of salt, pepper and beer in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- 3Dredge the fish pieces through the batter and carefully place in the hot oil. Fry for 3-5 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown in colour. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, and season with a touch of salt. Repeat with the remaining fish, cooking as many batches as necessary.
- 4Serve fish with tortilla shells, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sour cream and spicy coleslaw.