- Chocolate or vanilla cupcake recipe, or boxed mix
- White cupcake liners
- 2 cups vanilla icing
- 1 large bag of mini marshmallows
- Yellow food colouring
- New, clean small paintbrush
- Red and white cupcake liners
Prep and Cook
- 1Prepare cupcakes as per recipe directions using the white cupcake liners, and allow them to cool completely.
- 2Using a small spatula, spread a thick layer of icing over the top of the cupcakes.
- 3Using scissors, snip the middle of the marshmallows, but don’t cut through completely. You want each marshmallow to remain intact. Twist them a little so each piece looks slightly different.
- 4Place the marshmallow 'popcorn' on top of the cupcakes, completely covering the frosting. It should resemble a box of popcorn at this point.
- 5Using the food colouring and paintbrush, paint a light coating of “butter” over the marshmallow popcorn. Don’t cover the marshmallows completely, as the white space will more accurately resemble buttered popcorn.
- 6Slip the cupcakes into the red and white cupcake liners and set them out on a cake stand or platter.
- 7Slipping your finished cupcake into the second liner saves the liner from becoming greasy during the baking process. The extra step ensures a picture-perfect cupcake.
Tagged under: family-friendly Oscar party,cupcake recipe,themed cupcake,movie themed cupcakes,party cupcakes