- Medium to large rice cooker; fuzzy logic or on/off
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped white onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¾-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed butternut squash (¾-inch/2 cm cubes)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes, with juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) amaranth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
Prep and Cook
- 1Set the rice cooker for the Quick Cook or Regular cycle. When the bottom of the bowl gets hot, add oil and swirl to coat. Sauté garlic and onion for about 3 minutes or until onion is softened and translucent. Add oregano, cumin and chilli powder; sauté for 1 minute. Add zucchini, celery and squash; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened.
- 2Stir in tomatoes with juice, amaranth, salt, pepper and broth. Close the lid and reset for the Regular cycle. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
- 3When the timer sounds, check to make sure amaranth is tender. If necessary, continue cooking, checking for doneness every 5 minutes. Switch to the Keep Warm cycle. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve immediately.
Category: No Category