Roasting is a quick way to cook asparagus. A topping of toasted bread crumbs provides an appealing contrast in texture.
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) slender asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch (4 cm) long pieces
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil. In a bowl, toss bread crumbs with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil, lemon zest, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet and toast in preheated oven for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Let cool completely and transfer to a bowl. (Reserve the lined baking sheet for the asparagus.)
- 2In a bowl, toss asparagus with the remaining oil, ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper to taste. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once, until lightly browned and tender-crisp. Transfer to a warmed serving platter and sprinkle with lemon juice and toasted bread crumbs.
Category: No Category