- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 3 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from the cobs (about 2 cups), cobs reserved
- 2 cups milk, whole or low fat
- 1 ½ cups water, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 medium Yukon Gold or Russet potato, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped zucchini
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the carrot and celery and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2Break the corn cobs in half and add them to the pot. Add the milk, water, bay leaf and sprigs of thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes.
- 3Fish out and discard the cobs, bay leaf and sprigs of thyme. Raise the heat and add the potatoes, red pepper, zucchini, corn kernels and 1 teaspoon of salt. Season to taste with fresh ground pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost fork tender.
Tagged under: Chowder,vegetables,soup,corn,corn chowder