Makes 24-30 cupcakes
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1½ cups hot chocolate
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cups canola oil
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 large piping bag
- 1 large star or round tip
- Paper cupcake liners
- Chocolate jimmies
- Small whistles or toys for decorations
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- 2Chop the chocolate and add in small bowl with the hot chocolate. Let stand until the chocolate has completely melted and the liquid is smooth. Stir well.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 4Using an electric or handheld mixer, beat the eggs until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla and hot chocolate mixture, and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir to incorporate.
- 5Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins, filling them ¾ full. There may be extra batter left, depending on the size of your pans. It can be baked when the first batch is cooled.
- 6Bake for 16 minutes or until the centre of the cupcake is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 7To make the frosting, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heat-proof bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer) and set it over a pot of simmering water. Whisk frequently and heat the mixture until it reaches 160°F on a candy thermometer. (If you don’t have a thermometer, just make sure the sugar is completely dissolved and the liquid is too hot to hold your finger in it for more than a second.) Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer (or use a handheld one) and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 4–6 minutes.
- 8Transfer the frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large round or star tip and pipe swirls of frosting on top of each cupcake. Allow the icing to set for 1 minute and garnish with chocolate jimmies. Place a toy whistle or other decoration on top and serve.
Tagged under: cupcakes,hot chocolate,holiday cupcakes,marshmallow frosting