An icebox cake is an impressive no-bake dessert without much fuss. We’ve taken the basic concept of layering sweetened and flavoured cream with regular cookies and turned it into an individual dessert that will delight whoever is lucky enough to enjoy it. Once you’ve mastered the art of creating an oven-free cupcake, feel free to change up the flavours and fillings using a variety of store-bought cookies and assorted puddings or flavoured whipped creams.
- 8 key limes or 2 regular limes
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- 40 graham crackers (approx. 2 sleeves)
Prep and Cook
- 1Zest the limes into a small bowl and set aside. Cut limes in half and juice. You should have approx. ¼ cup total.
- 2Using an electric or handheld mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment), beat the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and all but 2 teaspoons of lime zest until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer and slowly pour in the cold cream. Increase the speed and beat until stiff peaks form, approx. 2 minutes.
- 3To make the individual icebox cupcakes, line a baking sheet with 8 cupcake wrappers. Place a graham cracker on top of each wrapper and spread the tops of each with a dollop of the cream mixture. Repeat until you have five crackers in each stack. Top the final cracker with a small scoop of cream and finish with a sprinkling of the reserved lime zest.
- 4Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days. Serve chilled.
Tagged under: dessert,summer recipe,no-bake,key lime pie,no-bake dessert,Key Lime Pie Icebox Cupcakes