Saffron Rice Pilaf
- 1 ½ lb (750g) large raw shrimp
- 2–3 chorizos or other spicy sausage
- 12–24 mussels and/or clams, washed and prepared (optional)
- Saffron Rice Pilaf (see below)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lemon slices
- Fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- 2–4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp lemon zest
Prep and Cook
- 1Combine ingredients for baste, toss with the shrimp, and set aside in the refrigerator for an hour to marinate.
- 2Put bamboo skewers in cold water to soak.
- 3Prepare the saffron rice pilaf.
- 4Tuck the mussels and clams (if including) into the rice during the last 5 minutes of cooking time, and continue to cook until they open.
- 5Preheat the barbecue and lightly oil the grill rack.
- 6Brush sausage lightly with oil and set on preheated grill.
- 7Turn to brown evenly and cook thoroughly, about 20 minutes.
- 8Thread the shrimp on skewers, and grill over medium-high heat for about 2–3 minutes a side, being careful not to overcook.
- 9(Shrimp should be pink on the outside, tender and opaque within.)
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
- 11Fluff the rice with a fork, season, and turn out onto a warm platter.
- 12Discard any unopened shellfish.
- 13Add the sausages, cut in pieces, and top with skewers of shrimp.
- 14Serve at once, garnished with parsley and lemon slices.
Category: No Category