Everyone will agree that this shortbread is worth a million bucks.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp butter
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter an 8” x 8” baking pan. Line the baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper that is long enough to hang over the edges of the pan.
- 2With an electric or hand-held mixer, beat the butter for 1 minute. Add the sugar, and mix for 3–5 minutes until thick and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the flour and salt and beat until just combined.
- 3Press the dough into the prepared pan and prick with a fork at even intervals over the surface. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 4While the shortbread bakes, combine the sweetened condensed milk, butter, sugar and vanilla in a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Cook until the caramel is thick and turns golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 5Pour the cooked caramel over the baked shortbread and allow it to set at room temperature for 1–2 hours.
- 6Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave (or heat-proof bowl set over simmering water) and stir to combine. Spread the chocolate evenly over the caramel and let set at room temperature.
- 7Remove the bars from the pan and cut into bite-sized squares.