For a more nutritious take on good old-fashioned mac and cheese, replace heavy butter and cheddar sauce with light but protein-dense ricotta and Meyer lemon juice.
- 1 500 g package of mini shell pasta
- 1 ½ cups frozen petite peas
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 Tbsp juice from Meyer lemon
- 2 Tbsp zest from Meyer lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 3–4 minutes or until slightly softened.
- 2Add the peas to the pot and allow the water to come back to a boil. By that time the peas should be cooked through and the pasta should be al dente. If it isn’t, cook for another minute or two. Drain.
- 3Return the pasta and peas to the pot, and add the ricotta, lemon juice, half of the lemon zest, salt and fresh ground pepper (about 10 grinds).
- 4Scoop the pasta into the bowls and garnish with the remaining lemon zest. Add crumbled bacon to the top if desired.