When you know you have a busy week ahead, make a pot of this baked barley pilaf, and store in the fridge for a tangy and nutritious side dish.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups barley
- 4 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter and oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven set over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook until soft and tender, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the barley and stir to coat evenly with the oil/vegetable mixture. Add the stock, lemon juice and bay leaf, stirring well. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- 5Cover the pot and place the dish in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5–10 minutes before uncovering.
- 6Discard the bay leaf and stir the barley. Serve warm.
Tagged under: leeks,lemon,pilaf,meyer lemon,baked barley pilaf