Perfect for weekend lunches, or a simple weeknight dinner, making these sandwiches in a muffin tin is a fun twist on an otherwise classic creation. Your little ones will have fun measuring and mixing the ingredients to make these sandwiches with you.
Makes 12 melts; serves 4 to 6 adults or 6 to 12 children
Find this recipe and over 100 more incredible dishes in Jan Scott’s new cookbook: Oven to Table: More Than 100 One Pot and One Pan Meals for Your Skillet, Sheet Pan, Dutch Oven, and More
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 2 cans (6 ounces/170 g each) chunk white tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced celery
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced red onion
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon Kosher salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter a standard 12-cup muffin tin with 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of the melted butter. Brush the remaining 3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter over one side of the bread slices and press the bread into the prepared muffin cups, buttered sides up.
- 2In a medium bowl, break up the tuna with a fork. Stir in the celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.
- 3Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) of the tuna mixture into each bread-lined muffin cup. Top with the Monterey Jack, dividing the cheese evenly between the 12 cups.
- 4Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until the filling is hot and the cheese is bubbling. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish the melts with dill sprigs and serve immediately.
Similar Related Posts:
A Perfect Kid-Approved Snack Recipe: Garlic Pretzel Knots
We love a delicious bread recipe, especially one that comes in snack size for little hands.
15 Meal Ideas for Toddlers (And the Whole Family, Too)
There is nothing cuter, or pickier, than a toddler. To ease your mealtime pain, we have a wide array of terrific meal ideas for toddlers to choose from!