Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuff this delicious quinoa salad into a juicy seasonal field tomato and you’ll be handing out the recipe as they leave the house.
- 6–8 ripe smaller field, vine or Roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup of corn off the cob
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- ½ orange pepper, chopped
- ½ yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, diced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- Using a tomato knife, slice the top off of each tomato.
- Scoop out the pulp and seeds and turn tomatoes upside down to drain on a paper towel until ready to use.
- In a strainer, rinse quinoa under running water and drain thoroughly.
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin.
- Add quinoa to the dressing and then stir in fresh mint, cilantro, corn, black beans, peppers, onions and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spoon quinoa salad into the tomatoes and serve as an appetizer or side dish.