What to do with all of those tomatoes? Make this delicious sauce ahead of time and store away for soccer night.
- 2 lbs – 24 plum (Roma) tomatoes, halved
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt & pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c fresh basil, torn
- ½ tsp sugar
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line 1–2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Place tomato halves (cut side up), garlic and onion on baking sheets. Try and cover the pan entirely, with no overlapping.
- 4Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- 5Roast tomatoes, turning them once halfway through cooking, for 60-70 minutes, or until the edges of the tomatoes and onions start to turn brown.
- 6Once cooled, carefully transfer the roasted tomatoes to a food processor or blender (or a large mixing bowl, if using a hand blender), add the basil leaves and pulse until sauce is smooth (or chunky if that's your preference).
- 7Transfer the pureed contents to a large skillet or pot and heat over medium-high heat.
- 8Add sugar and more salt or pepper to taste.
- 9Serve with a pasta of your choice, on a pizza shell, or with chicken or veal parmesan.
Tagged under: tomato sauce,sauces,roasted plum tomato sauce