Rustic Strawberry Pie
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 double pie crust
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
Prep and Cook
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Whisk the egg white and water, and set aside.
- Liberally dust a work surface with flour and roll out one pie crust; press it into a buttered pie plate and chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice, and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt then add the berries and toss with the flour mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and lightly brush the bottom with the egg mixture; top with the berry filling and dot with the butter.
- Roll out the second crust and cover the pie. Press the edges together, trim the excess pastry and fold under, crimping the sides. Cut air vents into the top and brush with the remaining egg wash.
- Alternatively, make a lattice top by cutting the second pie crust into 1” thick strips and layering them in a basket weave pattern over the top of the pie. Press the pastry pieces together; trim the excess and press edges together with the tines of a fork. Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 35–40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.