That can of chickpeas sitting in your cupboard is hiding a secret: once roasted, they will become an addictive savoury snack that’s perfect for packing into small containers and eating on the go. A good source of protein and fibre, they’ll help to keep the family feeling full a little longer.
This recipe can easily be double, if desired.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 – 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cane or granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp sea salt
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Place drained and rinsed chickpeas on a paper towel to dry completely. You can peel off the skins of the chickpeas, if desired.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, cinnamon, sugar and one tablespoon of the honey. Add the dry chickpeas and toss to combine, evenly coating the chickpeas with the honey mixture.
- 4Spread out the chickpeas into an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes or so, or until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside and deep golden brown in colour
- 5Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool. Store chickpeas in an airtight container at room temperature.