Who needs a swimming pool when you’ve got this cake?
- 2–10” chocolate or vanilla cakes
- 2½ cups white icing
- 2–4 drops of yellow food colouring
- 2 cups piping gel
- 2 drops of blue food colouring
- 2 pieces of licorice cut into thirds
- Plastic fish/marine toys
- 3 cocktail umbrellas
- 1 bouncy ball
- 1–12” cake board
- 1–21 icing tip
Prep and Cook
- 1Place one of the cakes on a cake board and cover with icing, then top with the second cake.
- 2Put a 6-8" bowl on top of the cake and trace around the perimeter of the bowl with a serrated knife. Remove the bowl and cut a 2" deep hollow from the cake.
- 3Mix together 2 cups of the white icing and the yellow food colouring. Ice the cake, including the hollow area, making it as smooth as possible.
- 4Combine the piping gel and one drop of the blue food colouring. Spread the piping gel into the hollow of the cake to create 'water' in the pool.
- 5Place the cut licorice strands side by side to make a raft. Squeeze the licorice together and it will hold in place. Lay the raft in the pool and top with a fish or water animal.
- 6Place the remaining animals in the pool (two or three on the side of the cake and at least one in the pool water).
- 7Add a bouncy ball (beach ball) and cocktail umbrellas for decoration.
- 8Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of white icing with the remaining 1 drop of blue food colouring and, using the #21 tip, pipe a star border around the base of the cake covering the seam between the yellow icing and the cake board.