- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ½ cup potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ tsp each: salt, thyme and rosemary
- 2 ml pinch black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- Pastry for 9 inch (23 cm) double pie crust (or store brought crust)
- 2 tbsp milk
Prep and Cook
- 1In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, carrots, potatoes and celery.
- 3Cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and a bay leaf and 1½ cups (375 mL) stock.
- 4Blend flour into remaining stock, stir into saucepan.
- 5Bring to boil and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- 6Remove bay leaf; stir in peas and turkey.
- 7Spoon into 9-inch (23 cm) pie crust.
- 8Fit second pastry over top and seal edges and make vents in centre for steam to escape. Brush pastry with milk.
- 9Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350ºF and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- 10*If you are making this ahead of time to have on another night, refrigerate pie (until cold) before baking.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- 12Thaw pie in refrigerator, and add 10 minutes to baking time.
Tagged under: pot pie recipe,pot pie,turkey pot pie