Family time finally takes centre stage over the holidays and what could be more fun than working as a team to make these gourmet twice-baked potatoes?
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 chorizo or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Pierce the potatoes with a fork, slice the top off the head of garlic and bake both on oven rack until tender, about 1 hour for the potatoes and 25-30 minutes for the garlic. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 2While the potatoes are baking, set a skillet over medium high heat and cook the sausage meat. When it begins to brown add the drained spinach and sauté until the meat is cooked through. Set aside.
- 3Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop the potato flesh into a medium sized bowl, leaving a thin ½” shell around the potato skin. Set aside ½ cup potato flesh. Reserve this for another use. Add the milk, butter, roasted garlic and ¾ cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper and add the chives. Mix well. Stir in the sausage and spinach mixture.
- 4Scoop the filling back into the potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese and baked until heated through, about 20 minutes.