- 1½ cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 vanilla bean
Prep and Cook
- 1Beat the butter with an electric or hand-held mixer on high for 1 minute. Add the sugar and mix for 3–5 minutes or until the shortbread is thick and fluffy.
- 2Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined. Slice a vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds from inside the pod with the back of a butter knife. Add the vanilla bean to the dough and stir to incorporate.
- 3Divide the mixture into three equal portions and follow the following directions for baking different cookie variations.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8” x 8” baking pan and line it with parchment paper, letting the parchment hang over the ends of the short side.
- 5Press ⅓ of the shortbread dough into the pan, making sure it is even in thickness across the baking dish. Using a knife and ruler, score the dough into 32 pieces (8 lines across, 4 lines down) and pierce each with a fork at even intervals.
- 6Bake the cookies for 16–18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut the bars along the scored lines and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- 7Melt ¾ cup chocolate chips. Dip one half of the long side of the cookie in the chocolate and lay on a piece of parchment paper to set. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape ⅓ of the shortbread dough into balls (about ¾–1” in diameter).
- 9Place the balls on the baking sheet, and bake for 15–17 minutes or until the tops crack and the bottoms are golden brown.
- 10Let the cookies cool slightly and then toss them around in a mixing bowl with ½ cup powdered sugar. Remove cookies and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add ½ cup dried cranberries and the zest of 2 clementines to ⅓ of the shortbread dough and stir to combine.
- 12Shape the dough into a 1½” diameter log (and about 8” long) and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- 13Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the cookie dough from the plastic wrap and cut it into ¼” thick slices. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 11–14 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and the centre is set. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Category: No Category