- 4 firm, medium-size pears with stems (Bosc or Bartlett), peeled
- 1 bottle robust red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Peel of one orange
- Peel of one lemon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream or yogurt
Prep and Cook
- 1Place pears in medium saucepan. Start poaching the liquid by adding all ingredients to the pot and enough water to cover pears.
- 2Set saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, occasionally turning pears to cook evenly (approximately 15 min) or until pears pierce easily with knife.
- 3Remove pan from heat and let cool.
- 4Transfer pears to a plate. Pour poaching liquid through sieve, over a bowl. Discard solids and return liquid to saucepan.
- 5Place saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until liquid has been reduced to a syrup (about 45 min). Let cool. Refrigerate poaching liquid and pears separately.
- 6Arrange pears on plates and drizzle with poaching liquid.
Tagged under: poached pears recipe,pear recipe,vanilla,cinnamon,poached pears