Hot on the heels of the winter holidays comes the Super Bowl, one of the year’s most exciting sporting events—according to all the boys in my house. They see it as a day to lounge in front of the TV with their friends, devouring lots of ‘manly food’ like chicken wings, pizza, and root beer.
We usually end up at a party of some sort, and if we don’t, we have people over to our house instead. While I’m happy to indulge in their decadent dinner choices for a special treat, I do have to add a healthy twist to the meal and I usually do so via my spinach and artichoke dip. Usually loaded with a variety of fat-laden cheeses, this popular dip gets a game-day makeover in my kitchen when made with beans, frozen spinach, artichokes, and lighter cheese options. It’s still flavourful, filling (thanks to all that fiber), and hits the spot, and no one seems to notice that it’s a little healthier than the version they are used to eating.
This dip can also be made days in advance, even weeks if desired, as it holds up in the freezer perfectly and can be baked just before serving. If you aren’t feeding a crowd, divide the dip into two and freeze one portion for another night.
Adapted from Spilling the Beans
Good to Know: Frozen kale makes a mighty fine substitute for the spinach.
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup white beans (preferably navy)
- 1 jar (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of any excess liquid
- Few dashes hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- 2Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic and beans in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until smooth. Add the artichoke hearts, Parmesan and half the mozzarella and whiz until well combined.
- 3Scrape into a bowl and stir in the spinach and hot sauce. Season well with salt and pepper if needed.
- 4Transfer to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Remove the foil, spring with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges and bubbling.
- 5Serve warm with fresh pita, veggies, crackers, or tortilla chips.