This Easter treat your family to this bright and cheerful lemon & whipped cream layer cake.
Makes 1 Layer Cake
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
For the Filling:
1 jar store-bought lemon curd
2 cups whipped cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour.
- TO MAKE CAKES: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer), beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. With mixer on low, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter between pans and smooth tops using an offset spatula. Bake until tops are golden and cakes are cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- TO MAKE WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Place one cake in the center of a serving platter. Using a serrated knife, level top of cake so it is flat. Use a pastry brush to wipe away any excess crumbs. Place about 1 cup of lemon curd in middle of cake and using a spatula, spread to the edges. Dollop whipped cream on top of lemon curd and spread to the edges. Top with second cake layer.