Last week, I purchased a dozen ears of fresh Ontario corn for nineteen cents apiece. Available in abundance right now, this seasonal favourite is usually served slathered with butter and eaten boiled, microwaved, grilled or steamed. And while it’s hard to tire of this popular late-summer side dish, there are so many other ways you can enjoy fresh, seasonal, and local corn while it’s at its best.
My 12 cobs were used up in soup, salad, tacos, pasta and stir-fry and not one ear was given the traditional boil-and-butter treatment. Instead, I intentionally sourced some creative ideas to expand the corn-ucopia of recipes I have on hand for this season’s most sought after veggie.
Here are 14 inspiring ideas for feeding yourself and you family well this month:
- Sautéed corn with bacon and green onions (cook bacon, drain most of the fat, add corn, season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, cook for 5 minutes, stir in green onions, eat warm).
- Make homemade creamed corn.
- Bacon-wrapped corn on the cob (season corn with smoked paprika and a pinch of salt, wrap in a piece of bacon and broil or grill for 8-10 minutes).
- Mexican grilled corn on the cob.
- Make corn coins, especially if you have dentally-impaired children in the house.
- Corn chowder is a favourite summer supper in my house. The kids love it, especially this cheesy version, which also happens to be gluten-free. Personally, I ADORE this smoky corn and kale chowder, and will be eating it regularly from now until the end of the summer.
- Remove corn kernels from the cob and freeze them for future use (there’s nothing better than pulling a bag of summer corn from the freezer in January!). Don’t forget to check out our tips for how to easily cut corn kernels from the cob.
- This recipe for creamy corn pasta with basil should be in every home cook’s recipe file. It’s totally delish, cream-free and good enough to serve to guests. Omit the cheese and it becomes dairy free.
- Corn fritters are pretty darn fabulous! They make an excellent lunch, snack or simple dinner, and in my experience the kids dig them.
- This orzo with kale, corn and sausage is another must-add-to-my-meal-plan dinner you’ll want to save.
- Mexican corn salad (esquites) should be part of your summer entertaining meal plans.
- No one I know has ever passed up the chance to chow down on these corn and black bean weeknight nachos. Bookmark this for one of those nights when it’s too hot to stand over the stove.
- My favourite ice cream shop on the planet is Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, and her recipe for Sweet Corn and Black Raspberry Ice Cream is divine. I use blackberries in place of the black raspberries, and keep a quart in the freezer each August.
So tell us, what are you making with all the corn in the market right now?