7 Brilliant Hacks For Your Boxed Cake Mixes
I know plenty of moms who love baking, but they don’t always have time to make something from scratch. When this happens they usually turn to a boxed cake mix to help them along.
I’ve done the same thing periodically over the years, and have collected some brilliant hacks to make boxed cake mixes taste even better. Here are seven simple things you can do to make your birthday cakes taste like they came from an artisan bakery.
- Use melted butter in place of neutral-flavoured vegetable oil for a better tasting cake.
- Substitute a flavoured liquid for the required water. Coconut milk adds a surprisingly decadent taste, but regular milk will work just as well.
- For chocolate cake, use boiling water (same amount as the box recipe calls for) and add ½ teaspoon espresso powder for a deeper, richer, chocolate-ier taste.
- Feel free to include add-ins. Chopped chocolate, toasted nuts, shredded coconut, a handful of sprinkles, and/or dried fruit will add something extra special to your cake.
- Make a homemade frosting. It’s quick to whip up and adds a gourmet flavour to boxed cake mix.
- Add an extra egg for a richer flavour and extra height.
Do you need cookies but not a cake? No problem. Simply turn your boxed cake mix into cookies using the same ingredients required to bake a cake (plus a few add-ins). This recipe is a great starting point, but feel free to experiment with other flavour combinations.