The Great Savvy Bake-Off Recipe #1
Things are gearing up for our SavvyMom bake-off and last week I was first to submit my entry. Not having many traditional ‘make it every year’ recipes in the family (other than a VERY labour-intensive rolled sugar cookie recipe my husband’s family always makes), I decided on shortbread and went looking for a recipe. Somewhere along the way, a citrus craving ensued and lemon shortbread it was.
And when I found a simple recipe that could be made in a 10×15 jelly roll pan (also known as a cookie sheet, although a real cookie sheet does not have sides), I was very excited. Strips/squares beat rolling dough or dropping spoonfuls every time, especially at this very busy time of year. Plus the recipe makes a lot of cookies, and it uses only a few ingredients, all of which you probably have on hand already.
They seemed to be popular at the office—lots of comments on the nice combination of sweet and tart these cookies offer. And with that, I’m crossing holiday baking off the list!
Lemony Shortbread Strips
Makes about 40 – 50 cookies
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 pound unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon zest (plus more for sprinkling on top if desired)
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and zest, and using your fingers, press the zest into the sugar until very fragrant.
- Add butter and beat mixture together until smooth.
- Add juice and mix until combined and creamy, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add flour mixture and beat just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press mixture into a 10″ x 15″ baking pan coated with nonstick spray. Place into the oven and bake until the top is lightly golden, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together icing sugar, butter and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread glaze over the cooled shortbread and sprinkle with extra lemon zest, if desired. (The extra zest adds a nice decorative touch.)
- Set aside and let stand at least 30 minutes before cutting into strips.
Good to know: You can make in advance and freeze the entire pan. Glaze upon defrosting, and then cut into strips.