Now that the days are getting lighter and brighter, it’ll soon be time to say goodbye to the cold winter weather and hello to springtime, spring flowers and spring cleaning. Although the tendency is to tackle the big stuff like dusty drapes and baseboards, you may want to focus on clearing out the clutter and organizing your space first.
We asked around for some practical, genius tips on how to tackle the ‘spring clearing‘ season and we’re sharing them with you. Here are our best tips on clearing out the clutter and organizing your space this season.
1. Tackle two a day. Start at the beginning of the month and put two items in a ‘donate’ box every day for the entire month. Sixty-two fewer items to worry about.
2. Share your list. Share with two friends what you want to complete in the next 60 days and hold each other accountable.
3. Delete it. Take 5 minutes once a week to go through the pictures on your phone or tablet and clear out all those excess photos.
4. Toss or donate your winter wear. Get rid of any winter gear you didn’t use this past season. Be ruthless. If you didn’t use it, it’s even less likely you will next winter.
5. Hang it up. Use S-hooks or shower curtain rings to get the clutter off the floor in pantries and closets—great for purses, umbrellas, mops, brooms and other cleaning supplies.
6. Pack it light. When de-cluttering, try to leave about 20 percent ‘breathing room’ on each shelf. If that sounds unattainable, just open up as much free space as you can.
7. Product purge. Run a major clean up of your cosmetics and hair products. Discard the old and disinfect the remaining, create inventory, and list missing items. Now you’re ready for your new ‘spring look’ shopping.
8. Clear your counters. We’re all about spring clearing, not just cleaning. Clear your surfaces by creating vertical storage solutions. Move up instead of spreading out. And be ruthless. Do you really use that Vitamix? If not, store it away for when you’ll need it.
9. Expire the expired. Get rid of old prescriptions, vitamins and food past its prime.
10. Freeze it. Now is the time to clear out your freezer of all the bulk from Covid panic buying! Make it a mission to plan meals using frozen food. When in doubt, throw it out.
11. Embrace the baskets. Get small baskets for drawers to sort like items. Discard anything unwanted, pop the baskets back in and you’re done.
12. Ask for help. Zoom a good friend over, open a bottle of wine, and start going through your closet. Take their advice, too!
Feel free to spread out your spring clearing tasks over the next three months and take it one large project at a time.